This screen lists all the existing users for your site. Users with roles other than Administrator will see fewer options when they are logged in. Depending on your Role, you can also add new users as well as manage their Roles.
At the top of the screen there are links that allow you to filter the list of Users based on the User Roles. The number in brackets will advise how many there are for that particular type.
When hovering your cursor over each row in the list of Users, links will appear beneath the user name.
Edit – Allows you to edit the user profile
Delete – Allows the User to be deleted. This link won’t be available for your own profile
A User can have one of five defined roles as set by the site admin: Site Administrator, Editor, Author, Contributor, or Subscriber.
- Administrator – Somebody who has access to all the administration features
- Editor – Somebody who can publish and manage posts and pages as well as manage other users’ posts, etc
- Author – Somebody who can publish and manage their own posts
- Contributor – Somebody who can write and manage their posts but not publish them
- Subscriber – Somebody who can only manage their profile
To add a new user, click on the Add New link in the left-hand navigation menu or the Add New button at the top of the page.
Once the above page is displayed, simply fill in the various fields and click the Add New User button.
Username – (mandatory) Enter the username of the new user here. This will also be used as the Login name for the user. Once saved, the Username can’t be changed
E-mail – (mandatory) Enter a valid email address of the new user here. The email address must be unique for each user. If a published Post or Page is authored by this user and approved comments are made to that post or page, a notification email is sent to this email address
- First Name – Enter the first name of the new user here
- Last Name – Enter the last name of the new user in this text box
- Website – You may enter the new user’s website URL in this text box
- Password – Clicking the Generate password button will generate a new strong, random password for the new user
- Send User Notification – When ticked, WordPress will send your new user an email about their account
- Role – Select the desired Role for this user from the dropdown list
WordPress will automatically generate a strong password when you create a new user. Clicking the Generate password button will generate a new strong, random password if you wish to change the one that was automatically generated.
The password strength indicator, shown just below the password field, must indicate at least Medium before WordPress will allow you to save the new user. It goes without saying, the stronger the password the more secure the login so it’s advisable that the strength indicator shows your password as being Strong. To make a password stronger, use upper and lower case letters, numbers and symbols like ! ” ? # $ % ^ & * ( )
To delete a user, click on the Delete link that appears beneath the user name when hovering your cursor over each row. The Delete link wont appear for the user that is currently logged in
Along with deleting the user you will be given the choice of what to do with all the content currently assigned to that User. The available choices are: • Delete all content – This will delete all the content which this user created • Attribute all content to – This will assign all the content currently linked to this User, to another User of your choosing. Simply select the User from the dropdown list After making your selection, click the Confirm Deletion button to remove the User.